Thursday, July 23, 2009

Remembering My Mom

I've been thinking about my Mom a lot lately. How much I miss her, of course, but more than that. I don't think I ever really appreciated the woman my Mom was until she was gone, and I have a lot of guilt, a lot of grief because of that. You see, the things that I disliked most about my Mom are the things that I dislike about myself and don't want to acknowledge. She wasn't perfect, nobody is, but she was an amazing woman who overcame so much in her life, a woman who loved deeply, cared about people, a woman whose love of her family defined her, by choice.

I used to think I was a lot like my father, and I am, in many ways, but I really am so much more like my mother. The qualities I have that help me be a successful teacher are qualities I inherited from her. Mom never got the chance to get an education, but she would have been one hell of a teacher. I mean, just the look I can give in class that can silence forty kids in an instance, I most definitely got from my Mom. Trust me on that.

I miss my Mom so much, but I am so very happy for her. She is with God now, of that I have no doubt, and she's pain free, happy, and probably really productive. I know that someday, if I'm a good enough person, I'll see her again, and I look forward to that day. But for now I'm content to continue to be an extension of this wonderful woman who loved and gave and contributed. I only hope I can live up to her legacy.








































If you want to learn more about this wonderful lady, please visit Mom's memorial site. The poetry, bible verses, and memories will give you a good look at an extraordinary woman.

Emily Jean Brockway

2 comments:

Moni S. said...

Beautiful post!

Unknown said...

Your memories of your Mom might have been more reverent-but they couldn't.
Your perception of your Mom's success in rising out of a childhood sinkhole-but it couldn't.
The magnitude of the love between you and your Mom could have been emphasied more-yes, it could have.
I might have been more proud of your remembering Mom as you did-but I couldn't

Your Dad