Thursday, July 16, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Yesterday I took five former students to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. We all enjoyed it so much. I also really relished some of the comments they were coming up with, such as "that is a good example of foreshadowing, Ms. Brockway," when a particular scene came up that they knew fed into the next movie. Seriously, so many times when I'm teaching a difficult concept such as foreshadowing to sixth graders I feel that they just nod their heads and have no idea of the concept. So I guess I felt a little validated by their comments.

I was also happy with the comments made by the boys, who basically said that their friends think it's dumb to be twelve or thirteen and still like Harry Potter. They also said that it's dumb to care what your friends think, because we are each individuals and all like different things. For a thirteen year-old from my area to be self-confident enough to say that is pretty amazing. But of course, my kids ARE amazing.

We went to dinner afterward and had a great conversation. I asked them what they remember most from being in my class and they said the sense of family that we all shared. They really felt that they belonged to something cool in class, where everybody helps each other succeed.

I went home on cloud 9. Damn, I love what I do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your students are so lucky to have you, Leigh. I'm so happy you are fulfilled by your life's work. Not all of us can say that. hugs

yvonne

Kris said...

Um, I also loved the movie, but I'm in my 20s and I don't know what foreshadowing is. Where do you teach? The kids must be really smart.