Thursday, July 2, 2009

Can We Really Change the World?

"You have your head in the clouds." "Do you really think YOU can make a difference?" "You've gotta look out for number one, Leigh." All of these things have been said to me, a lot. I even had one fellow teacher tell me, "I can't save the world, Leigh," when I asked her to help one of my students with a home problem. Hey, I'm not asking for you to save the damn world. Just this one kid.

One kid at a time. One person at a time. One cause at a time. If we all took the fatalistic attitude that we can't make a difference, nothing would ever get done. But if each person in this world helped a few people, and each of those people in turn helped others, we CAN make a difference. Call me a dreamer, hell, I've been called worse, but don't ever tell me to stop trying, because one kid at a time, I will give them everything I can. I can live with myself that way.

I've recently been sucked into the Twitter universe. At first, I just used it to keep up with a few friends, but I saw something there that energized me, motivated me, compelled me to get off my ass and do more. There are people on Twitter, some "famous," some not, that are working hard and using technology to reach the masses. People have united in ways I never thought possible to affect change. There are so many people out there who are visionaries, who see the world as they want it to be, and aren't afraid to go for it. It has enlightened me, and validated that "starry-eyed youth" part of me that has never gone away. I CAN make a difference, I can CONTINUE to make a difference, and I just don't have time any more for those who live their lives only for themselves.

God bless all of you. We are all in this together.

A few good links:

100 Best Blogs for Change

How to Change the World

Philanthropy Links

Youth in Philanthropy

You are the Future of Philanthropy (video)

1 comment:

geekdetails said...

I think we can change it too. Even if you can't save the whole damn world, you can change something for the better. Someone will see you do that and it'll motivate them to do the same. It's a ripple effect and it's how permanent change is made. I think the "I'm just one person" line is a cop out.